LADIES and gentlemen, we have a stinker on our hands.
Ben-Hur is the latest movie to be branded a box office bomb after a disastrous opening weekend in the US.
The film reportedly cost $A131 million to make but raked in just $A15 million on the weekend in the states.
According to Box Office Mojo, that’s the 63rd worst opening weekend result in the US since 1982 (for movies that were released in more than 3000 cinemas).
The historical blockbuster flopped spectacularly compared to Suicide Squad ($A27.2 million in the US on the weekend) and Sausage Party ($A20.1 million).
The result isn’t too surprising given the negative reviews Ben-Hur has received from critics so far.
Here’s what some of them have had to say:
Rolling Stone: “The last of the summer’s movie epics is a digitalised eyesore hobbled in every department by staggering incompetence.”
Los Angeles Times: “What it lacks most of all is a convincing reason to exist.”
Washington Post: “This new Ben-Hur could just as easily have been called ‘Been There, Done That’.”
ReelViews: “An amateurish effort that boasts direct-to-video characteristics, the latest version disappoints in almost every production aspect.”
The movie was produced by Mark Burnett and his wife Roma Downey, who told Breitbart.com she has high hopes for the film.
“I think there’s such an opportunity for this story to reach young people, and — through this action-adventure movie — bring them to the story of Jesus, bring them to the foot of the Cross,” she said.
Other 2016 box office flops include: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi, Alice Through The Looking Glass and Gods Of Egypt.
Ben-Hur will be released in Australia on August 25